As published on Zhou Nutrition
Rooibos tea is beginning to gain popularity and for good reason. It is a from a shrub native to South Africa and is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
Additionally, rooibos is high in mineral content which can aid in metabolic processes and maintaining a healthy nervous and immune system. Rooibos has been shown over and over to provide healing benefits to many ailments.
We all know that green tea is amazing, but did you know that Rooibos actually contains 50% more antioxidants than green tea?
Here are some of the beneficial nutrients this tea has to offer:
Iron– needed for oxygen transport, muscle function and energy production
Calcium-needed for bone health, blood clotting and muscle contraction
Potassium– needed for energy metabolism and heart health
Copper– needed for hormone and neurotransmitter metabolism and antioxidant protection
Manganese-needed for carbohydrate and protein metabolism as well as bone production
Zinc-needed for more than 200 enzyme functions in the body including immune and cell protection
Magnesium– needed for heart, muscle bone and nervous system health
Quercetin-potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
Take a look at a few ailments Rooibos has been shown to improve:
1. Infant Health
Rooibos has been shown to be very soothing to the colicky baby. While the exact mechanism of why this is so soothing for a baby’s tummy troubles, the anti-inflammatory properties are thought to be the reason.
2. Cardiovascular Health
Due to the Quercetin (which is a powerful anti-inflammatory), Rooibos has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) while raising HDL (the good stuff). It has also been shown to lower blood pressure and increase overall cardiovascular health.
3. Improvements and Possibly Aid in Prevention of Diabetes
Studies with Rooibos tea have shown promise in having “significant therapeutic potential” with diabetes.
4. Prevents Against Some Cancers
Due to the high antioxidant properties of Rooibos tea, studies have shown a link between the anti-mutagenic (anti-cancer) effects of this tea and growth of some types of cancer cells.
5. Restful Sleep
Rooibos is completely caffeine free! Because of this and it’s high mineral content, it can help create calm and relaxation, helping you to sleep better.
Remember to always speak with your healthcare provider prior to taking any herbal supplements if under treatment for any condition. Rooibos, though very safe in most individuals, has been shown to interfere with some chemotherapy/cancer treatments.
• Son, MJ, et.al, Aspalathin improves hyperglycemia and glucose intolerance in obese diabetic ob/ob mice., Eur J Nutr. 2013 Sep;52(6):1607-19
• Waisundara VY, Hoon, LY., Free radical scavenging ability of Aspalathus linearis in two in vitro models of diabetes and cancer., J Tradit Complement Med. 2015 Jan 20;5(3):174-8
• Shaik, YB, et.al, Role of quercetin (a natural herbal compound) in allergy and inflammation, J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2006 Jul-Dec;20(3-4):47-52.
• Sissing, L, et.al, Modulating effects of rooibos and honeybush herbal teas on the development of esophageal papillomas in rats, Nutr Cancer. 2011;63(4):600-10